Sunday, January 2, 2011

"D" Day!






"D Day" or delivery day started out as any other! Since we went to the doctor the week before and set an induction date for 12/20, we were not expecting any surprises. Especially since nothing more was happening down below! Not that I didn't try...I walked and walked and walked, we ate spicy Mexican food until we thought we'd need to change our nationality. I even had Adam down in Lafayette with Great Grandma Daily shopping when I was told to stay close to home, carrying my 33 lb 2 year old everywhere we went, but to no avail! I tried lifting heavy objects, running up and down stairs, and in the end was even putting my own shoes on again (something that my wonderful hubby had done for me in the last weeks of pregnancy) No, since we set the date, we thought we were scott free from the anxiety and anticipation of spontaneously going into labor. So we went about our business of finishing up our Christmas visits.
You might expect the surprise I gave everyone in the middle of dinner at Pa and Mimi's when I announced my water had broken! Wouldn't you know it the one time Brock decided to have a few drinks to celebrate the season and he now had to drive me to Carmel! Needless to say those few cocktails had little effect after the bomb I had dropped!
We took our time getting down to the hospital as I really didn't want to sit there and watch the clock. I wasn't having any contractions, at least the kind I remember, but the back pain I was experiencing was something I have never felt and wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!
We got to our room by 9 pm (my water broke at 5:45 pm), got an epidural at 2 am (I wanted to wait longer, but Brock was so tired from rubbing my back he insisted), and Jace Brody made his was into the world at 4:41 am!
I must say that the experience of childbirth is such a powerful one that I am amazed by the whole thing. From my body, I am able (with a little help!) to create a life and then after it is born from me I am able to sustain that life all on my own! Pretty powerful stuff!




No comments:

Post a Comment